Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Now What?



As the semester is rapidly coming to a close I find myself wondering, now what? In 11 days I will be done with Physiology, Rehabilitative Biomechanics, Abnormal Psychology, Introduction to Human Disease, and Epidemiology. And I will be halfway done with my junior year as an undergrad!! With the semester ending I am left with the question: so now what?
I will obviously continue to take Health Science classes/electives in order to graduate on time, but then what? I currently plan to apply to grad school for Occupational Therapy. If I stay on my current track, I will be applying to grad schools this time next year already! That being said, I need to accomplish a lot between now and then. I have to take the GRE, spend 40+ hours shadowing an OT, visit and apply to grad schools, and everything else in between. Once this semester is over, I will have roughly a month off, where I will hopefully be able to plan ahead on how I hope to accomplish some of these tasks.
Over break I also want to really reconsider my options as a Health Science major. Should I apply to grad school for OT? Should I consider other types of professional school?  Should I take a year off and try to earn some money to pay for grad school? Should I stop at undergrad and hope I can find a suitable job with my Health Science degree? Or should I “bank” on marrying rich and not having to use my degree at all? (JUST KIDDING about the last question) But really, though, all these questions are important and weigh heavy on my mind as my time at JMU is coming to a close faster than I realize.
Taking epidemiology this semester has also broadened my opinion on health and disease, especially in the areas of animal epi and how child and adolescent health is directly related to the health of a country. So I also wonder, now what in terms of epidemiology? Should I venture to find more classes related to this subject? Should I try studying abroad to gain a new perspective on how others view health and disease? Should I even get a Masters in Epidemiology?
So I ask myself again…now what? After writing this blog, it appears I have a lot I need to think and pray about over the next few months. I am excited to see what the future has in store for me and in my continued education!  


No comments:

Post a Comment